City of Waterloo
Commissioner of Community Services
The City of Waterloo is located in the heart of Canada’s Technology Triangle. It is a dynamic urban municipality in southwestern Ontario with world class educational, research and technology institutions.
Your track record of progressive leadership includes a proven ability to direct a team with a diverse portfolio of services and to manage in a complex municipal environment. Reporting directly to the Chief Administrative Officer you will be a member of the senior management team providing strategic direction to the City and your department divisions.
With oversight of service delivery in the following divisions; Fire Rescue, Municipal Bylaw Enforcement, Environment and Parks, Recreation and Facility and Community Programming and Outreach, you will be responsible for long term planning, staffing and budgets in overseeing 281 full time equivalents with an operating budget of $42 million.
Your mandate will include the development and promotion of programs, facilities and spaces for recreation and community activities for the citizens of Waterloo. You will ensure that culture and heritage in our community are nurtured and celebrated and that the City takes proactive measures to provide a safe community.
The role of Commissioner is responsible for:
- Assuming a leadership role in corporate strategic planning, the master plan and department planning processes.
- Fostering community and government partnerships as a representative of the City
- Ensuring effective and efficient planning, design, evaluation and delivery of services
- Ensuring long term fiscal stability and financial sustainability to support the development and delivery of efficient, effective service delivery and administration
- Fostering an employee culture based on sound management principles that values service to our citizens and public engagement, workplace safety, continuous improvement, learning and performance improvement
- Assisting the CAO in general management of the Corporation and the strategic plan including policy and corporate projects
- The successful candidate requires a bachelor’s degree in Business, Public Administration or a related discipline. A Master’s degree is preferred.
- 8-10 years of progressive management experience including 5 years of senior management experience in a municipal or related work environment.
- The successful candidate will receive a highly competitive salary with an excellent benefit package. Starting salary will depend on compensation history and qualifications.
A recent and detailed job description is available from the consultant. Further information is available on the city’s website: www.waterloo.ca
Closing Date: September 15, 2013.
Please submit: a cover letter, a resume by email, to Mr. Bruce Malcolm email@example.com Toll free 1-877-830-0500 ext. 727