City Of Winkler
Director of Planning & Engineering
Winkler is the economic hub of southern Manitoba with a growing population of 12,000 +. The retail trading area serves an estimated 65,000 residents. 4,800 people are employed in Winkler. The City is home to at least 10 industries employing over 100 employees with the number of business increasing every year. The increase in new businesses can be attributed to low taxes, reasonably priced real estate and, of course, cooperation between the city and its entrepreneurs.
In recent years the city has boomed earning the unofficial motto “Open for Business” which when coupled with its annual 4% growth rate creates an exciting environment for a Director of Planning and Engineering.
The finances of the city are rock solid with more in reserves than total debt. Major projects in the works include a regional wastewater treatment facility and the expansion of the recreation facility among many others. Situated on the western edge of the Red River Valley, Winkler is located at the corner of provincial highways 14 and 32 about 20 minutes from the United States border crossing into North Dakota. The City of Winnipeg is just one hour from Winkler.
The city is in an enviable position, having a growing population and significant trade area plus an excellent location. The community also has tremendous momentum with no end in sight to the rapid growth it is experiencing.
The Planning & Engineering Department
The Planning & Engineering Department has an operation budget of $600,000 and a capital budget of $3,000,000. The Director has 6 direct reports.
The Director of Planning & Engineering is a senior management level position reporting directly to the City Manager with responsibility for directing a wide variety of functions and/or programs related to Engineering including design, planning. A solid knowledge of municipal water and wastewater services; engineering; construction management; construction inspection and drafting; and surveying activities is important.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate should have a good general knowledge of planning and development with a proven ability to communicate the Department’s work and findings effectively throughout the organization and in a public setting. An outgoing and personable communicative style, with the ability and flexibility to work with a variety of individuals at any level in the organization is essential.
Leadership and Management
The ideal candidate will have a track record of managing an engineering-related budget as well as a significant capital improvement budget. Success in this position also involves leading and mentoring teams contributing significantly to this high-performance organization.
The ideal candidate must be a strategically oriented, self-assured professional with the ability to exercise a high degree of common sense and sound judgment. The ability to deal with both short- and long-term priority setting and achievement of these significant goals are essential.
Experience and Qualifications
- Degree in Engineering (P. Eng.) – preferred.
- Planning – Experience preferred.
- A minimum of 5 Years of successful management experience.
- An equivalent combination of management experience and education may be considered.
Necessary Knowledge, Ability and Skills
- Knowledge of The Provincial Planning Act.
- Knowledge of City zoning bylaws.
- Necessary public relations skills to deal with Council, City staff, Developers and the general public.
- Strong organizational, leadership and communication skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to effectively supervise professional and technical employees.
- Ability to review and recommend policies relating to land use planning and development
The position requires 5 years of increasingly responsible engineering experience as well as experience in the planning area. At a minimum it also requires a Bachelor’s degree in engineering with major course work in civil, mechanical, or environmental engineering or a closely related field. A Master’s degree in civil engineering is preferred along with a P.Eng. Certification.
The ideal candidate will have knowledge of the provincial Planning Act, knowledge of municipal zoning bylaws. All the necessary communication skills in order to deal effectively with Council, City Staff, Developers and the general public.
The ideal candidate for the position of Engineering Services Manager will have significant experience in a public or private sector organization with outstanding leadership, mentoring, and team building skills. The Director of Engineering and Planning must have an entrepreneurial spirit, be forward thinking and have a vision for development of strategies that will continue to improve the effectiveness and efficiencies of the Planning & Engineering Department. Candidates should also have impeccable personal integrity and an unquestioned commitment working in a first class organization.
- Works with Administration staff and developers in preparing and administering Development Agreements.
- Administers major capital projects and tender processes.
- Meets with the public and answers questions or provides oversight in relation to planning and zoning issues (rezonings, variances, conditional use orders, development permits, lot grades, sewer & water permits, plumbing permits, maps, review engineering plans, budget, etc.)
- Makes recommendations to Council and MSTW in relation to subdivision applications.
- Plans, directs, coordinates and oversees the operational and administrative activities related to the Planning and Engineering Department.
- Supervises GIS Manager and Engineering assistants in their duties.
- Ensures appropriate policies and procedures are followed for hiring, supervision, training and evaluation of all employees within the department.
- Meets with Council Planning Committee and Council as a whole as it relates to planning activities of the City.
- Works with the Bylaw Enforcement Officer for property related issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
Areas of Responsibilities
- City infrastructure, includes
- Planning, includes
- City buildings/facilities (excluding operations)
- Water system
- Sewer system
- Street system
- Traffic signals
- Drainage system
- Green Space
- Development Plan
The anticipated entry salary for the Engineering Services Manager is $102,000 – $119,000 annually depending upon qualifications and will be determined based on negotiation with the selected candidate. In addition, the City offers an excellent executive benefit package including retirement pension; relocation expenses are negotiable. Further details on benefits may be obtained through Ravenhill Group Inc.
General: Salary Category: 23
- Reports to and takes direction from the City Manager.
- Responsible for planning and engineering services in relation to community land development and planning.
- Responsible for engineering services as it relates to municipal infrastructure services (water and wastewater, transportation, etc.)
- Serves Committees of Council (Planning, adhoc)
To Be Considered
This is a confidential recruitment and will be handled accordingly throughout the various stages of the process. References will not be contacted until mutual interest has been established. This recruitment is considered open until final selection is made. Candidates are encouraged to apply by Monday, March 9, 2015 for optimal consideration.
Electronic submittals are strongly preferred to Ravenhill Group Inc. at email@example.com and should include the following:
• Compelling cover letter;
• Comprehensive resume;
• Salary history;
• Current number of FTE supervised / managed;
• Current budget oversight; and
• Five (5) professional references.
Ravenhill Group Inc. will conduct preliminary interviews as applications are received. Only the most highly qualified candidates will be invited for an on-site interview. The selection process may also involve a supplemental questionnaire. Interviews with the City will be conducted in early April.
It is anticipated that the new Director will join the City of Winkler in May 2015 or at a mutually agreeable date. This is a highly confidential search process. References will not be contacted until mutual interest has been established.
Confidential inquiries are welcomed and should be directed to Bruce Malcolm Toll free 1-888-447-5910 ext. 727 Candidates are encouraged to further research the City of Winkler website at www.cityofwinkler.ca