Town of Inuvik
Director of Finance
The Town of Inuvik seeks a Director of Finance. As Director you will be responsible for planning, directing and controlling financial and administrative functions for the municipality. Reporting directly to the Senior Administrative Officer you will be responsible for the establishment of financial policies, procedures, controls and reporting systems and shall be responsible for the supervision of general accounting, accounts receivable, collection and payroll of the Town of Inuvik.
Whether you are looking for northern arts and culture, remote rivers and wilderness, a chance to see arctic wildlife, a place to do business or just the occasion to relax and enjoy the midnight sun – Inuvik is your destination.
A place of rich diversity, Inuvik is Canada’s largest fresh water delta, close to the Arctic Ocean, with a spectacular view of the Richardson Mountains. Inuvik (place of people) is the homeland of the Inuvialuit and Gwich’in peoples. Inuvik is nestled between the treeless tundra and the northern boreal forest, and overlooks the incredible maze of lakes and streams of the Delta. With air and road transportation, access to Inuvik is convenient and offers adventure and great scenery. The Dempster Highway is an unforgettable driving experience that crosses the Arctic Circle and traverses mountain ranges and river crossings.
Do you have the Knowledge, Skills and Abilities?
…you’ll need to have knowledge in the following areas:
- Generally accepted accounting principles
- computerized accounting programs
- Accounts payable and accounts receivables
- Fund accounting
- Preparation of financial statements
- Preparation of financial reports municipal services
- Administration of employee benefits
- Payroll systems and reporting
- Office administration
- An understanding of relevant municipal legislation, policies and procedures
- An understanding of the northern cultural and political environment
You’ll have to be able to demonstrate the following skills:
- Excellent leadership skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Team building skills
- Well-developed accounting skills
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Decision making skills
- Effective verbal and listening communications skills
- Attention to detail and high level of accuracy
- Very effective organizational skills
- Effective written
- Communications skills
- Computer skills including the ability to operate and manage computerized financial, payroll and human resource information systems, spreadsheet and word processing programs, and email at a highly proficient level
- Stress management skills
You will need to demonstrate some really good personal attributes
By maintaining strict confidentiality in your performance of the duties of the Director of Finance.
You will also be…
- Be honest and trustworthy
- Be respectful
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Be flexible
- Demonstrate sound work ethics
- Be consistent and fair
The Director of Finance would normally have attained a professional accounting designation (CA, CGA, CMA) from a recognized accounting program and have several years of related senior financial and administrative experience.
The outstanding salary and benefit package is augmented by a generous Northern Allowance.
Send your resume and a covering letter in confidence to Bruce Malcolm Managing Partner email@example.com . Toll Free 1-888-447-5910 ext. 727 Candidates are encouraged to further research the Town of Inuvik website at www.inuvik.ca This position will be posted until filled