Manager, Accounting Services
REGIONAL MUNICIPALITY OF WOOD BUFFALO
Reporting to the Director, Financial Services, the Manager, Accounting Services is responsible for overseeing all activities in the Accounting Services area and providing financial expertise regarding generally accepted accounting principles as established by the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants. Key responsibilities of this position include:
- Providing daily oversight and direction to the Accounting Services team which includes Billing Services, Cash Handling, Insurance Services, and Accounts Payable;
- Fostering a productive and efficient work environment through mentorship and teamwork;
- Managing budgeting, strategic planning and overall design and deployment of all department initiatives;
- Monitoring adherence to applicable legislation, industry standards, and best practices;
- Maintaining strong financial internal control system to ensure general ledger data is secure, complete and reliable;
- Providing accounting expertise for ERP implementation; and
- Assessing the impact of Public Service Accounting Board accounting standard changes and providing impact analysis.
WHO WE ARE
As an Employer, we value our people, working together, accountability and integrity. We thrive on innovative ideas that offer our employees exciting opportunities for professional development and growth. From new graduates to seasoned professionals, from adventure seekers to those seeking to raise their family, the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo is a dynamic place to work, live and play.
WHO YOU ARE Manager ● Leader ● Strategist
Your people skills will help you meet one of your main responsibilities … making sure your team is motivated and is working proficiently and effectively. Your colleagues appreciate your advice, support, and recommendations. Your high emotional intelligence, interpersonal and communication skills help build effective working relationships. You can effectively navigate difficult situations while maintaining a spirit of collaboration and achievement of common goals.
You have operated with both union and non-union staff and have an appreciation for the work done in the public sector.
You have been working in an accounting role for 10 years in a progressive capacity with experience managing Receivables, Payables and Insurance, have demonstrated leadership skills in a management role for 5 years and are a CMA, CA or CGA.
The Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo (which includes Fort McMurray and nine other communities) is a key economic growth engine for both the province of Alberta and for Canada. Ranking among the largest municipalities in North America, by area, the Municipality is a vibrant, diverse and progressive community.
If you are an outdoors person this is the place you want to be. Take some time to enjoy our open spaces, world-leading recreation facilities or outdoor sports fields. Bike the Birchwood Trails in the summer and ski them in the winter. Wood Buffalo National Park offers a variety of visitor experiences — from short strolls on secluded forested trails to rugged canoe trips on wide meandering rivers of the boreal plains.
The successful candidate will receive a highly competitive salary with an excellent benefits package. Starting salary will depend on compensation history and qualifications.
A recent and detailed job description is available from the consultant.
Closing Date: March 10 2017.
Please submit: a cover letter, a resume, and three (3) references by email to Bruce Malcolm at firstname.lastname@example.org. Toll free 1-888-447-5910 ext. 727.